Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2012

Tandoori Chicken


There I was staring another package of chicken in the face wondering what fabulous meal could I make out of it this time. Tandoori Chicken came to mind. Now I'm not very adventurous when it comes to Indian food but I do like this dish. This recipe has an assortment of spices added to the yogurt marinade and as I began to search my very cluttered pantry for the required items. I quickly came to the realization that the pantry was due for a thorough cleaning. So that is how I am spending my first day of spring break; cleaning the pantry and making a marinade for chicken. I have the life!

Cook's Notes- Tandoori chicken is usually grilled. For this reason, I don't recommend boneless, skinless breasts or thighs. It is too easy to dry the chicken out. I have better luck with grilled chicken if I do the majority of the cooking in the oven first and then finishing on the grill.



2-3 pounds of bone-in, skin on chicken(I like to use thigh and leg quarters
1 1/2 cups fat free plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 large cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoon garam masala(this is a mixture of corriander, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom and pepper)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon each of turmeric and smoked paprika
2 teaspoons salt
3-4 tablespoons cilantro leaves

Place the chicken in gallon sized zip lock bags. Place all of the other ingredients in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Pour the yogurt marinade into the bags with the chicken. Seal the bags and massage the yogurt into the chicken. Place in the frig and marinade all day. Preheat the oven to 375. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and finish on an outdoor grill heated to medium until the outside of the chicken has the desired grill marks. Remove to a plate, cover with foil and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the cilantro leaves over the chicken and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly