Search This Blog

Sunday, November 4, 2012

White Chocolate Mud Cake

I've seen this a lot on Pinterest and wanted to give it a try. While researching the recipe on the internet, I discovered this is a popular wedding cake in Australia. My interest grew! When I found an interesting recipe I realized I would have to convert the measurements to U.S. standard. With conversions in hand I decided to press on. This has to be the strangest cake I've ever made. Why you ask? The batter came out the consistency of thick pancake batter. It rose higher than I anticipated considering the amount of batter I had. Assembly was extremely easy...no mixer required! How did it come out? DELICIOUS!!!! Intrigued, well here you go.


Cook's Notes- I adjusted the amount of flour to produce more volume in my cake. I also wanted it to make 2 9 inch rounds or 24 cupcakes if desired. I adjusted the baking time to half of what was originally called for. I think US ovens run a bit hotter. If your cakes comes out drier than you'd like, try this. Poke several holes in the top of the cake with a toothpick. Drizzle about 1/2 cup of white creme de cocoa over the top and let it absorb into the cake. Do this before frosting the cake.

11oz of white chocolate pieces
10 tbsp butter
3/4 sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
3/4 self rising flour]
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour

White Chocolate Ganache
8 oz of white chocolate pieces
4 oz sour cream

Preheat the oven to 325. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with baking spray. In a saucepan place the white chocolate, butter, sugar and milk. Heat on medium low until the butter and chocolate have melted. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a clean bowl. Let it cool for 15 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla to the cooled chocolate, mixing well. In a large bowl place the flours and stir to combine with a whisk. Add 1/3 of the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add 1/3 more and whisk again. Finish with the last third. Adding the chocolate to the flour in this way will keep the flour from becoming lumpy. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with White Chocolate Ganache(recipe below)

Ganache
Melt the white chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat, stirring frequently. When the chocolate has melted completely, remove from heat and quickly stir in the sour cream. Use immediately. If the ganache is too runny, set it aside and let come to room temperature to thicken slightly before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly