Search This Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Drop Sugar Cookies

When I was growing up there used to be a little neighborhood bakery not far from our house. My mom used to stop in on regularly to buy bread or hamburger buns. The nice ladies behind the counter would always give me a cookie if I happened to be along. My favorites were the sugar cookies. They weren't the fancy kind that were cut out in cute shapes and frosted. No, these were simple round cookies topped with plain granulated sugar. The were crispy on the edges and chewy on the inside. They would melt in your mouth. The bakery is long gone but not the memories. I made these the other day and I swear, and my mom confirms, that these cookies taste just like the ones I remember. I also love the simplicity of this recipe which makes these cookies perfect for the lunchbox or a picnic.

Makes 36 large cookies
1 cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 cups flour

Heat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment or a silpat. Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla and nutmeg. Add the baking powder and flour and mix well. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes. Using a large cookie scoop, scoop dough onto baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. If you like a softer cookie bake them for 8-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly