Search This Blog

Friday, April 11, 2014

California Lime Pie

This is my take on a Key Lime Pie. I used limes from my own trees. I first planted lime trees several years ago because I was tired of buying limes at the store that had no juice in them. I'd squeeze for days and get just a few drops of juice. After growing my own for awhile I realized that the reason the store bought limes were so pathetic was because they were not ripe. I know this sounds bizarre because I had been told for years that limes are supposed to be green. Not true! It's a lime conspiracy! Ripe limes are yellow in color and are loaded with juice. So now if I have to purchase limes from the store, I always look for fruit that has yellow on the skin. I am rewarded every time with juice.
Serves 8
Crust
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp melted butter

Place all in bowl and mix until the crumbs are well coated with butter. Press the crumbs in a 9 inch pie plate that has been well sprayed with baking spray. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until the crust has begun to turn golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you make the filling

Filling
3/4 cup lime juice
2 tbsp lime zest
5 egg yolks
1 can (fat-free) sweetened condensed milk
1 brick light cream cheese

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and condensed milk until combined. Add the lime juice, zest, and egg yolks. Mix until combined. Pour the filling into the pie crust and return to oven for 15 minutes or until the filling has set.

Allow to cool, then place in frig until ready to serve. Top with whipped cream. Cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly