Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Lemon Brownies

It seems like it has been forever since my last post. Quite a bit has happened since then, I decided to join my husband in retirement in June, our daughter graduated from college, we celebrated 30 years of marriage, our youngest turned 21, our oldest announced that he is going back to school for his masters and we took everyone to Europe for a much overdue visit with family. Now that I am retired I have no excuse not to get back into my newly remodeled kitchen and cook.
I try to bake once a week for my mom, ever the hostess, she still likes to have treats to offer the whomever may stop by to visit. I put together a tea party for her to serve her guests back on Mother's Day and I have been told that I need to do it again soon. I take that as a good sign. So until I can get that together, I thought Mom might like these little beauties.
These lemon brownies are scrumptious! They are a cross between lemon bars and lemon cake. The brownie is moist and dense like its chocolate cousin but after that these two part ways. This lemon brownie is sweet and tangy like a good glass of lemonade. It would be the perfect end to a light lunch or dinner. I would not hesitate to include it on an afternoon tea tray either.
Yields-18 brownies

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs
1/3 cup lemon juice
zest of 2 medium lemons

Glaze
1/4 cup lemon juice
zest of 2 medium lemons
2 tablespoons butter melted

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with baking spray.
In a large bowl place the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix gently with a whisk. Add the softened butter and using an electric mixer, mix until just combined. Add the eggs, lemon juice and zest and mix again until just combined. Do not overmix or the brownies will be tough.Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or when a toothpick comes out clean. While the brownies cool, prepare the glaze by placing all of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until smooth. Cut the brownies into bars when cool and smooth the glaze over the top of the brownies.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly