Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Chia Breakfast Pudding with Plum and Fig Compote

I have noticed that Chia seed pudding seems to be the latest trend in breakfast offerings. While the health benefits were worth looking into I held off wondering about the taste. Well, I finally bit the bullet and had my first bowl yesterday. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The texture reminded me of a very thick, creamy tapioca pudding. Since I am controlling the sugar, the pudding has the potential to have less sugar than most flavored yogurts. I usually have yogurt for breakfast and trying to find a brand that contains less than 12 grams of sugar has been a challenge. I finally found a non-fat yogurt with only 9 grams of sugar- Siggi's and I used that brand as the yogurt component of this dish. I made a compote of plums for my topping. I like the tart flavor of the plums but you could use any fruit in your compote or just top with a fresh fruit of your choice. I hope you'll give this a try. Healthy food can be delicious!

Serves 2

1/2 cup of Siggi's flavored yogurt
1/2 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
1 tbsp of honey
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain coconut milk

Place all of the above ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined. Place in the frig overnight to allow the pudding to thicken.
Plum Compote

3 medium plums, pitted and diced
1 tbsp fig jam
juice of 1 small lemon
juice and zest of 1 small orange
1 tbsp minute tapioca
Honey- to taste if needed

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium/high heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.

Place 1 cup of the pudding in a bowl and top with the warm compote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly