Search This Blog

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Thanksgiving

I consider Thanksgiving to be the ultimate in Foodie holidays. I make it the best meal I possibly can. Everything on my table is homemade. I start the weekend after Halloween by making the pumpkin puree for my pies. Making my own puree came about when I couldn't bring myself to just throw away all those jack-o-lanterns that the kids had carved each year. On Halloween night, after the trick or treating had ended, I would hack the pumpkins into pieces and store them in the frig. A day or so later, I would cook the pumpkin and puree it. Thus the name Jack-O-Lantern Pie was born. Our children still refer to my pumpkin pies by that name.
The turkey comes from the local butcher and is fresh instead of frozen. I have found that the quality of a fresh bird is far superior to a frozen one. I brine the bird 24 hours in advance and roast it unstuffed. The bird tends to cook faster and I don't have to worry about making sure everything is cooked properly. I also have never cared for the texture of the stuffing cooked in the bird.
The sides include sweet potato souffle, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, green beans and carrots topped with caramelized onions and bacon, rolls and butter. Jack-O-Lantern Pie, Eggnog Pie and Chocolate Bread Pudding round out the desserts. I pack up the leftovers so everyone can take a bit home with them and the next day I begin thinking about Christmas. Let the food games begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly