Search This Blog

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches

This recipe originally came from Paula Deen. However I made a few changes. First of all I changed out her rub for my own. You can find it under my BBQ Ribs recipe in May 2011. Secondly, her recipe calls for slow braising the meat in the oven for 3 hours at 325. I don't know about you but when it is hot, the last thing I want to do is run the oven so I swapped out the oven for my slow cooker. You can set the time for as long as you need it if you are planning on being gone all day long. It works perfectly! The meat is tender and falls apart easily. It tastes exactly like the pulled pork you can get in most good BBQ restaurants. Did I mention my family loves this? You should have seen my daughter today when I brought the meat home from the store. You would think she had died and gone to hog heaven(literally)!
Serves 8-10

1 6 pound Pork Shoulder Roast(pork butt)
1 recipe of my BBQ Rub(BBQ Ribs, May 2011)or about 1 cup of your own
cooking spray
2 1/2 cups apple juice
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 bottle bbq sauce
Kaiser Rolls
Cole Slaw(my recipe May 2011)

Two hours or the night before cooking, coat the outside of the meat with the rub. Wrap the pork butt in plastic and place in the frig until ready to cook. Four or more hours before serving, spray the insert of a large slow cooker with cooking spray. Remove the pork butt from its wrapping and place into the insert in the slow cooker. Combine the liquid ingredients in a bowl and pour into the insert. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Remove roast from liquid and let cool enough to handle. Discard cooking liquid. Using 2 forks, shred the meat. Place into a large bowl and toss with enough BBQ sauce to coat. Mound the meat onto the bun. Top with more BBQ sauce and cole slaw. Place top on and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly