Search This Blog

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cooking for Two Households

I have recently begun cooking for my folks 3-4 nights a week. My mom suffered a heart attack back in February. While she is making a remarkable recovery it became increasingly clear to me that my folks need more help. My solution was to hire a personal chef so my mom wouldn't have to worry about the cooking. She suffers from Ostioperosious too which affects the use of her hands. My mom liked the idea of a personal chef and promptly told me I was hired. How do you say no to your parents? You don't! So my weekends now consist of shopping and cooking for 2 households. I have been making good use of my 2 slow cookers as well as the oven for casseroles. I just make larger portions than before and divide what I make into 2 batches. One is normal sized and the other is smaller, enough to feed 3-4 people. I have found that the antique stores have a nice assortment of small casseroles from Corning, Anchor Hawking and Pyrex. These are the perfect size when making dishes for two and the price is usually super cheap. Our son was bummed to find that there are less leftovers than before. He usually counts on taking those back up to school with him when he comes down to visit. So I find myself making a few extra dishes that I can freeze and save to give him when he's here. Did I mention that I'm still teaching full time? Somehow I still manage to get it all done. I think I'll sleep when I'm dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly