Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Slow Cooker Refried Beans

Why I have never made my own refried beans until now I'll never know. This couldn't be easier. You can soak the beans overnight or rinse them and throw them in dry. I always soak mine just to be safe. I promise, you will never open another can of beans again. The beauty of this is that you can make a ginormous batch and then freeze it in smaller containers to use as you need them. My husband eats these for lunch. He likes to make his own burritos so he jumps for joy when he sees me make these. Another reason for making these is that they have absolutely no fat and you can control the salt.



2 lbs dry pinto beans
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic minced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed and diced
2 tsp cumin
2 1/2 tbsp-3 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
10 cups hot water

Place everything in the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours then turn to low for 2 hours. Drain off the liquid and then add back a little at a time as you mash them. I use an emulsion blender to get mine smooth. I think it is easier than using a potato masher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly