Search This Blog

Friday, August 2, 2013

Slow Cooker Carnitas

Having lived in Southern California all of my life (and being only 25 miles from the border), you would think that I would have discovered some really good Mexican restaurants by now. Unfortunately that is not the case. So when I want good Mexican food I usually have to get an invite to a friend's house or make it myself. If I can use my slow cooker to accomplish the homemade version, I am the happiest of campers. This one uses a pork shoulder roast which makes for a really moist, delicious filling for tacos, enchiladas or burritos. Best of all, this filling in low in fat and calories which takes the guilt out of what is normally a guilty pleasure.
Serves 8

2-3 pounds pork shoulder roast, trimmed of all fat
1 onion, diced
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
3/4 cup chicken stock or beer
zest and juice of 2 large limes
Place all of the ingredients into the insert of a slow cooker. Cover and cook on 6-8 hours on low. Remove the meat from the liquid and shred. Place on a non-stick baking sheet. Place under the broiler heated on high. Leave under the broiler for 5-6 minutes or until the meat has browned. Serve with warm tortillas, pico de gallo, diced avocado,mexican cheese, fresh cilantro and lime wedges

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly