Search This Blog

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Christmas at the Garrene's

I am reposting my usual Holiday dishes but this year I will not be cooking, in fact, there hasn't been much cooking going on around here for several weeks. We have finally decided to remodel our kitchen. This has been a huge undertaking and we are now in the home stretch. Cabinets are being installed as I write. Hopefully I will have some great photos to post soon. Happy Holidays!!

This has to be my favorite time of the year, hands down. I usually am in charge of dinner on Christmas Eve so I try to keep it simple making much of meal ahead of time. I also try to make Italian food like ravioli's or oso bucco. Christmas day is less hectic with chruch out of the way, we spend a relaxing morning around the tree opening gifts. My parents will stop by for sweet rolls and coffee before heading off to my brother's house. Then everyone will meet back here for dinner. Prime rib is always on the menu with potatoes gratin.
This weekend Bjorn and I are finishing up the decor(inside and out, shopping for gifts and I'm making cookies. The kids come home this in a few days and I want to have as much done as possible. My first grade class is studying Winter Holidays around the world this month. We always conclude the unit by decorating gingerbread cookies. Chris and Noel will usually come to my classroom the last day of school to help my students complete their houses. It's messy but a lot of fun.
Several years ago, I started putting up 2 trees. We have a large one in the living room and a small one in the family room. I wanted to do something special with all the decorations the kids would make each year they were in elementary school. Thus the idea of a small tree was born. I think I enjoy decorating this tree most of all because every year I can take a stroll down memory lane with the kids.

It also turned out to be a nice way to enjoy a tree no matter which room we happened to be in. You can't beat the smell of a fresh pine tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly