Search This Blog

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Gingerbread Cookies

My class will be decorating Gingerbread Cookies on Friday as the big finish to our holidays around the world unit. Gingerbread is not my favorite holiday cookie to make because I found that no matter what recipe I used the cookies all turned out the same-dry! As I was researching a recipe this week I found that most everyone was experiencing the same problem. I decided I would just have to do some trial and error of my own to see if I could rectify the problem. I am happy to report that I nailed it on my first try. The trick is not to roll dough to thin and I added an extra egg to the dough. I also raised the amount of shortening to 1 cup and swapped half of that for butter to give it better flavor.


Yields about 5 doz. cookies

4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground pepper(optional)
1 1/4 cup molasses
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 softened butter
3/4 sugar
2 extra large eggs

Combine the flour, baking soda and ground spiced in a small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter, shortening and sugar together until fluffy. Add the molasses and the eggs one at a time. With the mixer on low add the flour mixture and mix until just blended. Place the dough in the center of a large sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap well and flatten into a disc. Place in the frig for at least an hour. Preheat the oven to 325. Roll the dough to just under 1/4 inch. Cut into desired shapes. Bake on a lined baking sheet for 12-14 minutes. Cool completely and decorate as desired.

Simple Glaze

2 1/4 powdered sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1 1/2-2 tbsp plus 1 tsp milk
Food coloring

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Divide into bowls or squeeze bottles and color as desired. Spread or squeeze onto cookies. Let harden before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly