Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2016

Sweet Roll Cake with Cinnabon Frosting

I don't know about you but anything I can do to limit my time in the kitchen on the holidays is a priority. I used to spend all of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day cooking only to wonder how I managed to miss out on the day. So now I try to take short cuts where ever possible. I have always made cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning but that took me half the day to complete. This year I'm trying this cake recipe and it looks very promising. I found a recipe for Cinnabon frosting but the amount of butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar bordered on the ridiculous. So I cut the amounts to about 1/4 and had great results. The amount of frosting my recipe made was just the perfect amount for the cake. Happy Holidays everyone!
Serves 12-14
Cake
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
2 extra large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup(1 stick) butter melted

Topping
1 cup (2 sticks)butter softened
1 cup brown sugar packed
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp cinnamon

Cinnabon Frosting
1 stick butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese softened
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with baking spray. In the bowl of a standing mixer or a large bowl using a hand mixer, place all the cake ingredients. Mix until combined. Pour into the baking pan and spread out evenly. In a medium bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Drop spoonfuls of the topping onto the cake batter and cut in with a knife to get a swirl effect. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool until barely warm. Using a mixer beat the frosting ingredients together until light and fluffy. This will take about 12 minutes, so if using a hand mixer get someone to take turns with you. Scoop the frosting onto the barely warm cake. Spread out evenly. Cut the cake in half horizontally then cut into slices vertically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly