Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Original Toll House Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies have to be the first thing most girls learn to make. I know it was that way for me and for my daughter. It is probably the most American cookie we have. Several years ago, we hosted an exchange student from France for the summer. She had never had these cookies and once I made them she insisted that I teach her how as well. I remember trying to make the conversion in measurements for her. I hope it worked. This is the original recipe developed by Ruth Wakefield, owner of the Toll House Inn in 1930.

Makes about 60 cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 cup each of granulated and light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
12 oz of semi-sweet chocolote chips
1 cup chopped nuts(I use walnuts or pecans)

In a large bowl mix together the four and baking soda, set aside. In another bowl with a mixer blend together the sugars and butter until soft and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and the nuts. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheets lined with either silpats or parchment paper 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly