Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Chocolate Rice Pudding

I was never a huge fan of rice pudding growing up. We rarely had dessert so we ate it and were grateful. My mom always baked hers with cinnamon and raisins. My husband loves rice pudding(its a Scandanavian thing). When I made my mom's version for him, I was informed that real rice pudding was not baked it was made on the stove-top. All-righty then, I'm back at the stove trying it again. This time I'm making a chocolate version and using Aborio rice. So far I'm liking the results. The rice gives off a creamy starch that makes the pudding silky with a rich taste and you don't have to use full fat milk to achieve it. I think this recipe will make my picky husband very happy.

Cook's Notes- If you don't like orange. You can add instant espresso powder mixed in a little hot water, flavored vodka, chocolate or hazelnut liqueur. Just about anything will work.

3 cups 1% milk
3 cups fat free half and half
1 cup sugar
1/8 cup grand marnier
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of 1 small orange
2 cups of aborio rice
10 oz of bittersweet chocolate pieces
2 tablespoons butter

In a medium sauce pan bring the milk, half and half and sugar to a simmer. Add the orange zest, grand marnier, and the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Turn the heat to low and add the vanilla. In a large sauce pot, melt the butter and add the rice. Cook until the rice is heated through and the pot is hot. Turn the heat down to medium and ladle 1 cup of liquid into the rice pot, stir until mostly absorbed. Continue to ladle the hot milk into the rice pot 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition. Keep doing this until all the milk is added and the rice is al dente. This should take 20-25 minutes. You need to stir continuously throughout the cooking process. The stirring releases the starch and thickens the pudding. Turn off the heat, cover and let the rice pudding stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish each bowl with chopped hazel nuts or fresh berries and whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly