Search This Blog

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Baked Chili Rellenos

I love Mexican food. I could eat it at least once a week but I don't love all the calories. Chili Rellenos are one of my favs. The chilies are stuffed with cheese, dipped in an egg batter and then fried before being smothered in a tomato sauce. When I fell across this recipe I thought I was in hog heaven. It is pretty cheesy so I decided to make it a main dish and served it with a salad. I made a few adjustments to the original and it was yummy!


Serves 6-8

4 7oz cans of fire roasted chilies
1 15 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes with juice
3 oz tomato paste
2 tsp smoked paprika
3 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
5 eggs, separated
1 can low fat evaporated milk
4 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Preheat the oven to 325. Spray a 2 quart oblong baking dish with cooking spray. Drain the chilies and remove any seeds. Lay on paper towels to dry. In a small bowl mix together the tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic powder and paprika. Lay half of the chilies in the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with 1 cup of cheese. Lay the rest of the chilies on top and cover with another cup of cheese. Beat the egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl whisk the yolks, evaporated milk, salt and flour together. Add the egg yolk mixture to the whites and fold together. Pour the egg mixture over the chilies in the baking dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is puffed, golden and set in the center. Remove from the oven and spread the tomatoes and the remaining cup of cheese over the top. Bake for another 7 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly