Search This Blog

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Baby Back Ribs

We make ribs a lot throughout the summer. I found a great deal on babyback ribs in the store today so we'll be eating like kings tomorrow. We'll be partnering these ribs with corn on the cob, Cole slaw, Watermelon and Buttermilk Brownies for dessert.

You'll find pictures of my rub and some of the steps at the bottom of my blog.
Rub(enough for 2 racks of ribs)
1/2 cup of light brown sugar packed
3 tablespoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon each of dried thyme,cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
Put all rub ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.

Preheat oven to 250
Place a rack of ribs on a long piece of heavy duty foil. Make sure it is long enough to completely wrap the ribs in. Sprinkle a 1/4 of the rub on each side of the ribs and rub in well. Wrap the ribs up in foil and place on a jelly roll pan.
Braising Liquid
1 cup good pale ale
1 cloves of garlic diced
1 tablespoon each of liquid smoke, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey
Put all ingredients in a sauce pot and bring to a boil. Open one end of the rib foil packets and pour half of the liquid into the open end. Place the ribs into the oven and let them braise for 3 hours. Remove the ribs from the oven, open one end of the foil packets and pour out the liquid. Remove the ribs from their packets and place a rack in the center of a clean jelly roll pan that had been lined with foil or a silpat. Coat both sides of the rack with your favorite bbq sauce. Place under the broiler or on the bbq until the ribs are browned on the top. Cut them apart and serve.

Cook's Notes- I gave up bbqing my ribs years ago when I realized that the term bbq refers to the smoking process the ribs go through at a professional ribs joint. I was never able to completely control the heat on my grill which led me to burn the sauce that I put on my ribs. So I opted to use the oven and have never been disappointed since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly