Search This Blog

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Quinoa Fruit Salad

I have lost 10 pounds since last May. It's tough changing a 50 year old body that refuses to give up anything. Being able to work out again after knee replacement definitely helped as well as making changes to what I eat. I used to take frozen low cal entrees for lunch each day but they didn't seem to do the trick. Too much salt and not enough protein or veggies. So I decided to make my own soups and salads to take instead. Quinoa seemed like an obvious choice for my salads. While a grain, quinoa also packs a good deal of vegetable protein so I don't get that mid afternoon craving and can make it to dinner without snacking. With that being said, here is a delightful quinoa salad that is loaded with flavor.
Serves 8

3 cups cooked quinoa
3 cups sliced strawberries
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sliced fresh pineapple or mango
8 large basil leaves sliced into ribbons
juice of 2 large limes
zest of 1 large lime
3 tbsp honey

Place the quinoa, fruits, cranberries, almonds and basil leaves in a large bowl. Mix the lime juice, zest and honey together and pour over the salad. Toss and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly