Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Orange Chip Waffles

It seems like everything I make these days has some sort of citrus in it. The reason must be all the ripe fruit on my trees right now. I hate seeing it go to waste. This recipe will make my family very happy. I often get requests for breakfast items at dinnertime. I took my basic recipe and spiced it up a bit with oranges and mini chocolate chips. If you're not into chocolate you can omit the chips and add chopped toasted pecans to the batter instead. When I make waffles I will usually double the recipe to ensure there are a few extra for breakfast the next day.

I serve these with my Turkey Sausage Patties(June 2011)

Serves 4-6

1 1/2 cups flour
1/8 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
zest of one orange
1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 cup mini chocolate chips

In a medium bowl mix together the dry ingredients and chocolate chips, set aside. In another bowl whisk the egg, buttermilk, orange juice,zest, sour cream and butter. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Heat a waffle iron and spray well with cooking spray. Cook waffles according to your waffle iron's directions. Respraying the iron between batches. Keep warm. Serve with maple syrup and strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly