Search This Blog

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fourth of July and Pie

Painting- Little Miss Fourth of July by Gina Garrene 1998

What do you think of when you think about the 4th? I conjure up images of bbq's, the beach, fireworks, the Coronado Parade and pie. Pies and I have a love, hate relationship. I love to eat them but have a heck of a time making them. If the crust wasn't giving me grief, the filling was too runny. Never wanting to admit defeat, I stoically carried on. Why?? because, pie is present in most of the my holidays. Pie is always a must at Thanksgiving where I made at least two different types, sometimes 3 if I have a crowd. Pie just screams the 4th.I like either a cherry or berry pie. So here I am, back in the kitchen having another go at pie. Thank the Lord that my family will eat just about anything and are very forgiving. This year I will make a blueberry pie to have on Sunday when my parents make the trek down for dinner. I fell across a fool-proof pie crust a few years back so now all I had left to do was come up with a few tricks for tackling that filling. I finally mastered that and will share those in the recipe above.
We are going to my friend Lori's for the 4th. Her husband, Chris, originally came from Cape Cod. One day we had a discussion about Whoopi-Pies. He claimed his were the best and I of-course disagreed. The challenge was on! He made some last year and I plan to bring mine this year. I'm confident I can take him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly