Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese

When I'm in the mood for comfort food, Mac and Cheese is often the first thing I think of. I like my mac and cheese to be very saucy so I make a large amount to combine with the cooked pasta. The next day you will notice that the sauce will have been mostly absorbed into the pasta. There is no way that I know of to keep the pasta from absorbing the sauce that is just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. We took our oldest back to school yesterday and even though we didn't hit the door until 6:30, I had a craving for Mac and Cheese that just had to be dealt with. I added cooked bacon to top before putting it into the oven and it was really good.

Serves 6-8

1 pound of cooked pasta(I like shells)
4 cups milk
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz goat cheese
1/3 cup flour
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
several dashes Tabassco
1 package of bacon

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a medium saucepot melt the butter. Add the four and whisk it into the butter until combined, leave it on the heat for about 2 minutes continuing to stir. Add half of the milk and whisk until the four is dissolved into the milk and there are no lumps. Add the rest of the milk, whisking to combine. Add the salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium/ low heat until the milk mixture has thickened. Turn off the heat and add the goat cheese. Whisk until melted. Add the cheddar and whisk until melted. Finish the sauce with several dashes of Tabassco. Combine the cheese sauce with the cooked pasta and pour into the casserole dish. Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook over medium/high heat until it just begins to crisp. Drain off all the fat. Sprinkle over the top of the mac and cheese. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly