Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Caramel Apple Crumble


When we were kids, my mom would often make caramel apples in October as Halloween drew near. I don't make them myself anymore as I don't have little ones to serve them to, but I still crave the flavor of one. Fooling around one day in the kitchen I came up with this recipe. It is way easier than making caramel apples. I warn you now that the smell that comes off of this desert as it bakes is heavenly. Thank goodness you can't gain weight from the delightful aroma.

Cook's Notes- I use Kraft minute tapioca as a thickener for my fruit deserts. I find it to be more consistent than flour. You can find it in the baking aisle of your grocery store.

Serves 6-8

5-6 cups of peeled and cored apples that have been cut into cubes
juice of half a large lemon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup caramel sauce(you can make mine from August '11 or buy a good ice-cream sauce)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
3 tablespoons minute tapioca
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick butter,melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl toss the apples with the lemon juice. Add the caramel sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar,tapioca, allspice and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Pour the apples into the baking dish. In another bowl combine the oats, flour, 3/4 brown sugar, pecans, and baking soda. Pour the melted butter over the flour mixture and stir to coat with the butter. Pour the crumble mixture over the apples and spread out evenly with your hands. Place in the oven and bake 40 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly