Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Red Cabbage and Apple

I had never had red cabbage until I met and married my husband. My mother-in-law is originally from Norway and red cabbage is traditionally served on Christmas Eve with pork roast. This happens to be one of Bjorn's favorite dishes so I like to make it for him when I can. I serve this with pork chops or sausages.

Serves 4-6

2 slices of bacon diced
1 small onion thinly sliced
1 small head of red cabbage, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
1 green apple, cored and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

In a dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon until browned about 10 minutes. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the cabbage, apple, cider vinegar and water. Cook, stirring until the cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, Cover, cook, stirring occasionally over medium/low heat to desired softness, adding more water if needed. This should take 45 minutes to 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly