Search This Blog

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Cherry Snack Cake



This is one of my favorite lunch box offerings. My kids often requested this of me when they were little. I haven't made this for awhile and was thrilled to stumble across my recipe tonight. Christopher is home for the weekend and this will put a smile on his face when I pack some of it up for him on his return trip back to school tomorrow.
Serves 8

2 sticks of softened butter
2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound thawed frozen cherries or jarred sour cherries, drained(I use a jar of Morello cherries from Trader Joe's)
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 325. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. In a mixing bowl with a mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla. With mixer on low add the baking powder and the flour. The batter will be thick like a cookie dough. Turn the batter out into the baking pan and spread it out to the pans edges with an off-set spatula. Scatter the cherries evenly over the top of the batter. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean about 35-40 minutes. Cool in the pan. Cut cake into triangles and dust with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly