Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Let's Dish About Fish!

Fish, I can take it or leave it. Preferably I will usually leave it. So when my doctor started pushing me to put more fish in my diet, naturally I was horrified. I had every excuse at my fingertips. The cost, the smell, the bones, the taste!!!! So I started with shrimp, scallops and cod. Then added salmon red snapper, halibut and bronzino. I have to say that after making a conscious effort to put fish into our diets twice a week, it's not as bad as I first envisioned it would be. Fish has a lot going for it. It is a low fat protein and can be quite versatile. True, cost can be a factor but with a few minor changes to my overall weekly shopping list I have been able to swing it. I have found that purchasing flash frozen fillets can really save money over the fresh and is just as good. Costco is probably the cheapest for frozen fish and Von's Waterfront Bristro brand is also very good when on sale.  I also buy only wild caught fish. Why??? It usually contains less mercury then its farmed cousin. Wild salmon also has more Omega 3's than farmed. Well there you have it. My vast knowledge of fish in a measly paragraph. I hope you will give fish a try, it's doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly