Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches

I found a recipe for this years ago but it called for au jus mix to make the sauce. I wanted to cut out the canned soups and package mixes from my life so I had to rethink this recipe. Swapping the mix for beef stock was easy but how to bump up that flavor was the question. After much trial and error I finally settled on this.


Serves 6

If you look closely I completely forgot to brown the meat and didn't realize it until I had everything in the pot. I guess I need to read my own recipes-LOL!

1 1/2 pound beef top round roast
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 onions, peeled and quartered
3 cloves of garlic smashed
2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef stock
1/4 cup white wine
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Spray the insert of the slow cooker with cooking spray. Heat the oil in a large skillet with a lid. Season the roast on all sides with the salt and pepper. Place the roast in the skillet and brown on all sides. Slightly cover with the lid to keep splatter to a minimum. Place the roast into the insert. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Remove the roast. Strain the liquid of all solids and any fat. Toast the cut side of the rolls. Dip the cut side into the liquid then load up with meat. Serve with the sauce on the side for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly