Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Stove Top Clam Bake

I know most people think of food off the grill for the 4th but I think of seafood. Living close to the ocean must be the reason. Many of my 4th of July celebrations were spent at Mission Bay when I was a kid. My parents would throw a huge company picnic for their employees and their families so I have fond memories. Unfortunately, we don't spend the day at the beach anymore because the crowds have become ridiculous and parking a nightmare. To bring the beach to us I like to do a clam bake. To make it easy, I do mine on the stove. I'm off to Point Loma Sea Food today to pick up my clams and shrimp. Happy 4th everybody!!


Serves 6

1 1/2 cups dry white wine
3/4 cup water
6 cloves of garlic
2 large shallots, halved and peeled(root left on)
1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
2 pounds linguisa sausage, cut into chunks
red pepper flakes- optional
6 ears of corn, shucked and cut into thirds
5 dozen clams, scrubbed
1 pound extra large shrimp, shells on
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 large lemons, quartered

In a large 12 quart stockpot, bring the wine and water to a boil. Add the garlic, shallots, potatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Cover and cook 8 minutes. Add the corn, sausage. lemons and clams. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes. Add the shrimp in a single layer. Cover and turn off the heat and let the pot sit until the shrimp are opaque, about 3 minutes. Remove the contents of the pot to a platter. Remove the lemons and garlic from the broth. Whisk the butter into the broth. Pour the broth into small bowls for dipping. Cut up more lemons and serve along with the meal for squeezing over the shellfish.

I plan on serving this with a good garlic bread and my watermelon arugula salad. S'mores will round out the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly