Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers

I found a recipe for stuffed peppers done in the slow cooker but the filling didn't thrill me. I decided to use the method but change the ingredients. I'm always looking for ways to sneak more nutrition into my main dishes but my kids(even the adult ones can be picky)aren't often receptive. Spinach packs a lot of bang for the buck but it's on the "I don't eat that!" list. I learned long ago that if I grind the offender up into tiny pieces there is no way it could get left on the plate. So that's what I did here. The veggies help to keep the filling moist during the long cooking period.





1 pound low fat ground turkey
1 pound turkey Italian Sausage
1 cup cooked wild/brown rice blend
6 oz fresh baby spinach
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
6 oz tomato paste
1/4 dry white wine
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
5-6 large bell peppers tops cut off and seeds removed

Place the spinach in the food processor and pulse about 12 times to mince. Place in a skillet that has the oil heating over medium/high heat. Add the onion, garlic, chili flakes, fennel, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Place the veggies in a large bowl and let cool. Add the rice, the turkey sausage with the casings removed, ground turkey, 3 oz tomato paste, salt and pepper. Mix until just combined. Using an ice-cream scoop, fill the peppers with the filling.Push down on the filling so that you get the as much as possible in each pepper. Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking spray. Place the marinara, wine and remaining tomato paste in the bottom of the insert. Stir to combine. Nestle the peppers down into the sauce. Roll any remaining filling into meatballs and place down in the pot with the peppers. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly